Should I Have My Electrical Outlets Checked?

    You may not think about this very often, but it is not a bad idea to have your electrical outlets checked every now and then, as a broken outlet can pose certain risks that you might not even think about. You may not even know an outlet is damaged, but over time, your outlet can begin to crack and become damaged, and you might not even think about it when plugging something into the wall.

    To avoid starting a fire or shocking yourself when attempting to plug something in, you should check up on your outlets occasionally to make sure they are still in good working order.

    Risks Posed by Damaged Outlets

    electrical repairs lexington ky

    To help you get a good idea of what you should be keeping an eye out for when investigating your own outlets, take a look at some of the top three damages found on electrical outlets, and some of the dangers they can pose if left unchecked.

    1. Receptacle faces have become cracked.

    It is common to see the plastic parts around the outlet begin to crack, and over time, it will probably flake away. This isn’t something you want to leave unchecked for long, though, because this can pose a risk of shock or even fire if left unchecked for too long.

    2. The outlet’s cover plates are missing or damaged.

    The cover plate is an integral part of the setup, as it keeps everything in the electrical box safe. These also cover up the terminals, and touching one can end in electrocution if you aren’t careful. Don’t use an outlet with a missing plate until it is replaced so you can avoid potential shock risk.

    3. You can see noticeable exposed wiring.

    Loose wiring is something that should be addressed as soon as it is noticed, as it can present a huge fire risk if left unchecked.

    To avoid taking on these risks for yourself, consider having your outlets checked out (and if needed, replaced) by an electrical repairs lexington ky professional. Remember, you never want to mess with live electricity yourself, as it could cause serious injury or even death if you don’t know what you’re doing. Leave the electrical work to a trained professional, and you will be just fine.